Tuesday, November 4, 2008

lokah samastha sukhino bhavanthu



svasti prajabhyam paripalayantham nyayeana margena mahim maheesah
gobrahmanebhya shubamsthu nityam lokah samastha sukhino bhavanthu

May there be well being to the people;
May the kings rule the earth along the right path;
May the cattle and the Brahmins have well being forever;
May all the beings in all the worlds become happy;
Peace, peace and peace be everywhere!

************
With tears of joy, I embrace the news that Barrack Obama is the President Elect of the United States. Today was my first voting experience. Pretty important for me being that I'm 42 years old.
The following is a post from Durga Das'(David Newman's) blog post on MySpace which just about sums up how I feel about this presidential election.

Dear Friends,

It has been a time of introspection for me to decide how I wish to express my voice through this very explosive time of political activity here in the US. Before I begin, let me state a few considerations for you to keep in mind as you read.

First, I am deeply committed to maintaining an openness and understanding of others beliefs and opinions and therefore do not intend, in any way, to imply in this correspondence that my reflections are the correct ones nor do I wish to convince anyone of anything. Rather, this blog is a reflection of my inner desire to share some deep feelings I have about the matter. Second, that my work, singing Kirtan and exploring the Bhakti path, in essence lives outside and beyond the realm of politics and even duality. So, I write to you all, in the most personal sense. In other words, I do not wish that my beliefs in this matter, should affect your capacity to enjoy and receive the universal thread of oneness that my music and yogic teachings offer. Last, as a citizen of the United States, I am deeply triggered by the current wave of political life and the consequences on our future and that is why I am writing this; as a means of self expression to my community. So, it is with these three concerns indicated, that I express my reflections and feelings on the presidential election and my support of Barack Obama.

I first became drawn into the current political process upon watching Barack Obama speak - it was really the first time that politics grabbed me (note I come from a family of politicians). It wasn't politics though that grabbed me, it was Obama. I sensed truth and I felt a man, very simply put, coming from his Heart. Ever since, I have been following what has been taking place on the campaign trail. I admit that my understanding of the system is limited and I also know that Obama is not perfect, like any of us. However, something in me, simply trusts this man. Beyond the political rhetoric, there is a force and depth moving within him, that in my estimation is transparently connected to Spirit...at least how I experience Spirit. I feel he represents the true qualities of leadership - that he is one who, by Soul Force, will be able to change the emotional and spiritual landscape of our country in a way that will affect us on many deep levels. I believe that he will reflect to us, as a culture, our true destiny and support us in revealing our highest ideals and aspirations.

One of the most compelling motives for communicating my support of Barack Obama to all of you, is for the following reason. I have found that many living a strong inner life and on the yogic path, may tend to avoid the discursive, divisive and plain ugly world of politics. I know I did. Perhaps we do this because we value the depth of our inner world to such a great degree and also because we are surrounded by so much light in our lives that it may simply seem that it just doesn't matter to us. So, let me share my two cents - it does - and if not to us, to many others who are not so privileged to lead the life and partake in the opportunities that we are so blessed to have. So, without preaching, and from my heart, I urge everyone to register and vote, get involved, get informed and decide for yourself which candidate speaks to your beliefs and values. My choice is clear, this November, I will cast my vote for Barack Obama. If it resonates with you, please feel free to share these reflections with others on the path!

Thank You for taking the time to read this...
With Much Love!
David